Transformer furniture is just as the name suggests. It takes on different forms, providing multiple uses, especially useful for small spaces. Sometimes called “transforming furniture”, it helps to comfortably equip any interior space, taking into account the floor area of the dwelling and the number of family members. Such models significantly decrease the space required for furniture, something that’s often in short supply in small apartments.
Features of Transformer Furniture
The emergence of transformers opens up new options:
- keeps the budget low for buying furniture
- combines items according to your needs, saving space
- allows a unique design for your apartment
- uses every inch of the area
- quickly changes the furniture settings according to your circumstances
The furniture industry has come a long way, but transformer furniture is not something you’ll find widely displayed in traditional furniture stores. At least not yet. It’s something of a specialty item right now, so you’ll need to get familiar with the scene. Visit homeydesignstore for one example.
How to Arrange Transformer Furniture
The mechanical transformation systems in modern models consists of the following components and actions:
- retractable mechanisms – these are components hidden in the body of the product, an example is shelves and tables that discreetly come out from under the base of the furniture
- folding mechanisms – chairs and beds that change their size and position, depending on the requirements of the activity
- lifting mechanisms – these change shape and configuration, rising up and freeing up space below, including folding loft beds or bunk beds
- modular components – these consist of several pieces that come together in different ways to perform different roles.
The specific mechanical mechanisms depend on the type of object and the way it is transformed. Layout of rooms with compact use of space can turn a cramped apartment into a room with different functional areas. Smart, transformer furniture comes to the rescue.
Examples of the Most Popular Furniture
If you are doing a redesign and don’t feel comfortable deciding what goes where. You could hire a designer to help, but try this first. Using boxes, masking tape applied to the floor, and even some of the furniture you’ve got, try different ideas and see how they look and feel. I’ve done this many times and it works very well.
For the Bedroom
If you have to combine a bedroom and a living room space into one room, a wardrobe bed will come in handy. For a comfortable sleep you will have access to a wide bed, which gets hidden in the closet during the day. An alternative is a bed with matching sofa and wardrobe for the bedroom/livingroom space.
For the Livingroom
A sofa-table can boost the hospitality of any livingroom, yet being a transformer it also hides its second function. This is a compact sofa. If there are guests in the house, it transforms into a table and several soft footstools (sometimes called “poufs”).
Your living room can be completed with folding elements:
- chests of drawers
- modular wardrobes
TIP: If your living space is so small that a wardrobe bed severely restricts walking space or takes up more than half the area of the room, it is better to replace the bed with a comfortable corner sofa. It will serve as a bed for sleeping and will easily accommodate guests.
For the Kitchen
Your kitchen is a great place for transformer furniture. In cramped conditions, tables with hidden cabinets and folding surfaces are a big help. You’ll also find modular tables with supports for various kitchen utensils. If your kitchen is not separate but combined with, say, the main room, your dining area can include a movable tabletop and folding chairs built into the wall.
For the Nursery
The compact arrangement of a children’s room is especially important. There needs to be space for children’s games and creativity. You’ll find it most convenient to fold a children’s sofa cube, part of which is used as a drawing table, inside of which there is a container for storing things or toys. If there are several children in the house, look for a sofa that turns into a bunk bed.
Transformer Furniture for Larger Homes
Some people with larger living spaces still want multi-use furniture, and this is where transformers can help. Here’s how:
- compact items fit perfectly into rooms decorated in a minimalist style – they maximize the space
- many functions in one subject
- transforming, the furniture transforms the interior quickly, allowing you to create zones that are different in purpose
- the minimum size of furniture brings neatness to the interior, does not litter the room, opens access to light and air
- the problem of storing things is simplified – all household items are easily masked
- this is budget-saving – buying a multifunctional product is cheaper than purchasing two or three pieces of furniture
Together with the advantages of transforming structures, they have disadvantages. You need to choose the right one according to the architectural layout of the apartment. Do not forget about the rapid deterioration of folding mechanisms, which can fail before the warranty period.
What should you look for when choosing multifunctional transformer furniture? Before buying anything you need to measure your rooms to ensure the items fit your space.
- Warranty: Check the warranty document in writing (don’t take the salesperson’s word for it) and pay particular attention to the mechanisms responsible for the transformation. Browse springs, rivets, screws. The entire structure must be secured tightly, all the way into the body. The transformation should be smooth, soundless, without getting stuck halfway. Are all these items covered under warranty? If not, don’t buy.
- Frame: The rigid base for the item should be made of sturdy material. The presence of plastic, even expensive and hard plastic, increases the risk of rapid wear. Constant unfolding loosens the most stable structures, so it is better if the product is made of metal or hardwood. Avoid softwood.
- Replaceable elements and equipment: Additional covers and attachments for armrests will help to keep the neat appearance of furniture that is prone to frequent use in conditions of insufficient space for a longer time.
- Warranty obligations of the store and the manufacturer: Find out the terms of warranty and the availability of service centers. Broken furniture cannot be used.
- Calculate the load: Consider who will use the furniture and how. Each item is designed for a specific weight and function that’s not to be exceeded. Ignore this and your furniture could be ruined. An obvious point, yes, but easy to overlook.
Compare the benefits of a transformer to your personal budget. Analyze all the advantages of the chosen model, then check the functionality in the store before the seller and preferably do it several times.