How can I replace a load bearing wall to open up a space?

There’s a load-bearing wall between the living room and kitchen in my son’s home and he’d like to open this space up and make one large room. I’ve heard this is possible. Can you offer suggestions for how it can be done?

Yes, this sort of thing is possible if the wall is replaced with a beam, but it’s serious work that demands judgment honed by experience. It’s necessary to make the same sort of beam-size calculations that a builder would have done if the home was originally framed as an open area instead of enclosed by a wall. The Canadian building code includes tables with specs for this sort of work, and understanding them isn’t difficult. Supporting the area while removing the wall and installing the beam will be the trickiest part of the task. It will probably also be necessary to make special arrangements to support the beam solidly at either end.

Learn More Every Saturday!

FREE weekly tips and advice to make your home work better, whether it’s a rural homestead or a place in the city.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Just want to say how much I enjoy your Saturday morning newsletters and website. The content is always excellent... - FL

Thanks so much for the terrific work you do, and the outstanding resource you provide. - KS

Your videos are outstanding! Very instructive, and animations and your speech really helps to get the messages! - DB

Baileylineroad is supported in part by advertising. If you can't see the ads below, please consider turning off your ad blocker when visiting our site, or subscribing to our newsletter. Thanks for visiting!